Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Maiden pilgrimage to Sabarimala

I feel all new. A Malikappuram. Just returned from Sabarimala with Manu, my son.I did not even have to stand in any queue! Surprising in this season. Never expected such a lovely darshan, not once but twice, once thanks to my friend, Mohanan Pillai, of The New Indian Express, who is posted there. The policemen were very courteous and helpful. The fact that the descent was 'kadhinam  entayyappa' does not stand in the feeling of achievement and fulfilment. I never ever thought that a woman of my mass would make it there! A quick decision without much discussion to make the pilgrimage to Sabarimala made it possible. The fact that I was the only devotee in salwar does surprise, because as you age, this is the best attire for travel and such a pilgrimage. And the joke is that I wear it only when I travel and not otherwise! I believe I made it because I did not wear a sari.
The climb, darshan and descent is inspiring, educative and an eye-opener in so many ways. It just breaks your ego, teaches you to stretch  yourself  to the fullest possible and makes you understand that anything is possible if there is a will and when faced with no alternatives, you really can do it! This new learning, applied in life, can help you much, I think.
While making a maiden pilgrimage, it is strange that veterans don't tell you much! People feel that everything 'is understood'. It's not.
 I would include these among the tips for kanni Ayyappans: Climb slowly as the hoardings say. You conserve energy that way. Breathing in and out regularly helps, which I learnt only at the fag end! Use the oxygen parlours if you are so out of breath that you feel your heart will strike work. ( I did not)  Resting for some time is okay, never mind if people file past you like P T Usha.Slow and steady does win the race, as I learnt quite late.  There is no need to feel that you have to keep up with people you started out with. Circumstances, body build and weight are different. Well, next time!